Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Brass Box Pictorial

Here are the pictures I took as I was making my little round Brass Box.
This isn't a tutorial (I wouldn't presume to try and tell anyone how to do this - I barely managed it myself !) It's more of a pictorial to show you my process - It was my first attempt to make a box and I'd be more than happy to hear suggestions if you know of a better or easier way to make these :)

I started with 1mm sheet brass which I formed and soldered into a 3cm diameter tube about 2 cm high....then:

I carefully sawed around the mark I had made with the calipers.
Yay! Two pieces - a lid and a base

Sand on flat surface in figure 8 action. I do this as required.
I used  a cardboard template and made an extended lining to fit lid .
Lining Soldered in - now checking for fit to the base.
Working on the Base now - Bottom soldered on.
Sawing off the excess
Shoddy Sawing! Lucky I enjoy filing :) Tweak the lid to fit!

That looks better - after filing & some sanding.
Aaargh! Never noticed that before - back to re solder that bit!
Working on the lid now- soldering the top on.
After sawing. You knew I'd textured the lid in the rolling mill, right?
Ready for more and more filing fun....and some sanding.
More clean up ...then.......All done - Here 'Tis
The Lid comes off...but it fits back on....phew - wipes brow! :)
Yep - I even cleaned up the inside.
This is just a brief summary but if you have a any questions just leave a comment and I'll be happy to give more details if I can. Pin It

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely work! The lid’s texture is beautiful.

Her said...

well done Pam, great photos. Bring it Tuesday?

GetSilvered said...

Thanks Sylvia for visiting. The texture was made by running the metal through the rolling mill with a skeleton leaf.

GetSilvered said...

Thanks Jane, Yes, I'll bring it on Tuesday. Want to start another one now but probably won't have time. at least I can cut it out with the guillotine in class :)

Unknown said...

Wow, the process is amazing... thanks for showing all of that.. and the end product is stunning, especially the leafy lid.

Have added you to my West Australian only crafty creative blogs and sites list.. http://amoebahandmade.blogspot.com/

GetSilvered said...

Thanks for visting Emma! I'm off to check out your blog now. always great to hear of other Perth bloggers!

Anonymous said...

Love it!!! Your step by step instruction is very clear for a beginner to follow. Cheers!